Rosters and duties.
Committee on Academic Freedom and Tenure Heading link
Duties of the Committee on Academic Freedom and Tenure
The Committee on Academic Freedom and Tenure shall be concerned with, and prepare recommendations on, campus policies and practices regarding appointment, reappointment, promotion, tenure, and nonretention of the academic staff. It is a body identified in Article II, Section 1, Paragraph g. of the University Statutes to exercise the functions required by the University of Illinois Statutes (Article X, Section 1e and 2d) regarding the holdings of hearings and the making of recommendations to appropriate administrators in instances of alleged violation of academic freedom of members of the academic staff, or dismissal of tenured faculty members, and of dismissal of nontenured faculty members and other members of the academic staff prior to the expiration of a member’s contract.
Committee on Academic Services Heading link
Duties of the Committee on Academic Services
The Committee on Academic Services shall review policies regarding, and the performance of, units which provide support for academic programs. The Committee shall make appropriate recommendations for Senate action. In the fulfillment of its charge, the Committee shall organize itself in such a way as to meet its and the Senate’s need for giving advice on the function of the following campus services:
- the campus library (fulfilling the requirements of the University of Illinois Statutes, Article VI, Paragraph e. and f.;
- computer services;
- instructional resources.
The Committee shall serve as the Senate’s advisor to the directors of the relevant units on the formulation and implementation of policies governing operations of the units. Its shall advise the Chancellor on the appointment of, and on the periodic evaluation of, the directors of the relevant units. The Committee shall carry out similar activities regarding support services in all units other than those listed as mandated subcommittees (e.g. Educational Assistance Programs, Student Counseling, Student Placement, Testing Services).
Committee on Budget, Planning, and Priorities Heading link
Duties of the Committee on Budget, Planning, and Priorities
The Committee on Budget, Planning, and Priorities shall regularly advise members of the Campus administration concerning: (1) the formulation of policies and procedures concerning the operating and capital budgets; (2) the allocation of funds requested by the Campus; (3) the allocation of funds appropriated to the Campus, and (4) develop, review, and assess implementation of long-term priorities and the relationships of these priorities to annual operations and capital budgets. The Committee shall also advise the Campus and University administration concerning policies and plans regarding the general mission and scope of the Campus, the size and composition of the student body, the development and modification of the academic structure, space utilization and the development of new facilities. Concerning these matters, it shall study national trends in the budget of the State which may affect the University and trends in the University budget which may affect the Campus. It shall monitor the allocation of funds to the University, to the Campus and among the different units of the Campus.
- The Chairperson shall represent the Senate on all University budget and planning groups to which the Senate is entitled representation. If the Senate is entitled to additional representatives, they shall be elected by and from among the elected Committee members.
- The Committee shall duly report on these matters and on its relations with the University and Campus administrations and make recommendations to the Senate.
Committee on Educational Policy Heading link
Duties of the Committee on Educational Policy
The Committee on Educational Policy shall be the primary instrument for enabling the Senate to contribute to the development, maintenance, and evaluation of educational programs which are of the highest quality and which conforms to the stated scope and mission of the Campus and the University. Accordingly, it shall make recommendations to the Senate concerning Senate action on educational policy matters over which the Senate has legislative jurisdiction (University of Illinois Statutes, Article II, Section 1, Paragraph b-e), including but not necessarily limited to:
- Initiation or discontinuance of, or changes in, educational programs and curricula;
- Course offerings of non-degree granting units;
- Requirements for the awarding of degrees, certificates and honors;
- Experimental educational programs;
- Grading regulations;
- Continuing education and any other educational programs offered in the name of the Campus, including distance learning and off campus programs;
- Review and periodic evaluations of academic programs;
- Budgetary implications of the academic programs;
- Such other matters as may bear directly on standards of excellence in academic programs.
The Committee on Educational Policy shall have two subcommittees: (a) Undergraduate Education Subcommittee, (b) Graduate Education Subcommittee. The Committee may establish such other subcommittees as it deems necessary.
Executive Committee Heading link
Duties of the Executive Committee
- Provide ways for the academic community to influence and be responsive to administrative policies and practices.
- When necessary, act on behalf of, and speak for, the Senate; however, all such Committee actions shall be subject to review and ratification by the Senate.
- Give advice to the Chancellor and the President on the first appointment and annual appointments of the Provost and all vice chancellors and to the President on first appointment and annual appointment of the Chancellor.
- Facilitate communication between the Senate and the Campus faculty and student body, offices and agencies within the University, and, where appropriate, individuals or organizations external to the University. In carrying out this latter function, the Executive Committee shall work closely with the Committee on External Relations and Public Service. The Senate’s observers to meetings of the Board of Trustees of the University shall be drawn by and from among the members of the Executive Committee.
- Monitors and advises the Chancellor on intercollegiate (varsity) athletics and intramural sports as they relate to University academic and educational objectives.
- Manages the business of the Senate, prepares the Senate agenda, and presents the standing rules to the Senate annually.
- Supervise and coordinate the work of Senate committees, including referral to appropriate committees of issues brought to the Executive Committee, and assure that assigned committee functions are deliberated, completed and reported in a reasonable time.
- Through a Nominating Committee appointed by the Chair, provide nominees for all Senate officers and committee memberships that require Senate election. This committee may also be asked to provide nominees for other positions for which the Senate may be asked to name members.
- Annually review the process and results of Senate elections submitted by voting units responsible for faculty and student elections. If, in the committee’s judgment there are questions about process, discuss such questions with and make recommendations to the unit’s election committee.
- Report at each regular Senate meeting.
- The Executive Committee shall oversee the review of all proposed amendments to the University of Illinois Statutes, Senate Constitution, and Senate Bylaws, and prepare all such proposals for presentation to the Senate. The evaluation process shall include the substantive review of such proposals by an appropriate Senate committee(s). At three-year intervals it shall appoint a subcommittee from its membership to review the charge to, function of, and membership of the Executive Committee; review the charge to and nature of the Executive Committee with regard to its general function, size and membership, and report its conclusions to the Senate.
Committee on External Relations and Public Service Heading link
Duties of the Committee on External Relations and Public Service
The Committee on External Relations and Public Service shall be concerned with:
- liaison between the Campus and extra-mural boards (other than the Board of Trustees and the Illinois Board of Higher Education), agencies and organizations;
- the perception of the Campus by the news media and the general public;
- nominations for honorary degrees and other awards;
- campus services to individuals and organizations both on and off campus.
The Committee shall maintain communication where appropriate with the University, state, local and federal officials and boards to ensure that the views and interests of the Campus and the University are understood.
The Committee shall concern itself with Campus and University efforts that shape the public’s perception and understanding of the Campus and the University.
The Committee shall develop criteria, invite and review recommendations, and prepare for presentation to the Senate nominees for honorary degrees or other citations and awards to individuals who are not members of the University academic community.
Committee on Faculty Affairs Heading link
Duties of the Committee on Faculty Affairs
The Committee on Faculty Affairs shall be concerned with all matters regarding general conditions under which the academic staff function. It shall prepare recommendations concerning the implementation on this Campus of equal opportunity in the appointment, promotion, retention, assigning of responsibilities, and remuneration for members of the academic staff to assure that they occur without regard to gender, race, religion, national origin, age, or non-restrictive physical handicap. It shall prepare recommendations concerning affirmative action programs designed to increase the number of qualified academic staff members from underrepresented or disadvantaged groups. It shall monitor the equal opportunity and affirmative action programs and report noncompliance to the appropriate bodies and administrators.
The Committee shall also be concerned with, and prepare recommendations regarding, University policy on all benefits and prerequisites of faculty employment, including, but not limited to: remuneration, retirement benefits; health related insurance, including hospitalization, professional services, and drugs; life and other insurance; sabbatical and other leaves of absence; sick leaves; educational benefits for self and family.
Committee on Research Heading link
Duties of the Committee on Research
The Committee on Research shall be concerned with the support and promotion of research conducted on or in the name of the Campus. It shall monitor and make recommendations for Senate action concerning Campus and University policies and procedures in support of research in general. Additionally, it shall review policies concerning, monitor the performance of and make recommendations for Senate action on Campus-associated, free-standing and Campus-wide research facilities.
The Committee on Research shall be the primary instrument for enabling the Senate to encourage the development, maintenance, and evaluation of research and public service Centers and Institutes of the highest quality. Accordingly, it shall make recommendations to the Senate concerning Senate action on initiation or discontinuance of, or changes and enhancements in, Centers and Institutes.
Committee on Student Affairs Heading link
Duties of the Committee on Student Affairs
The Committee on Student Affairs shall discharge the obligations of the Senate regarding student affairs and student discipline as specified in the University of Illinois Statutes and such other duties as appropriate to its role in matters that affect the conditions and progress of students in their study at this University.
Student affairs refer to those aspects of student life that are not directly concerned with the academic programs such as, but not limited to: student housing, financial assistance, counseling, and rules and conduct. Regarding student affairs, the Committee shall review and monitor Campus policies, procedures, regulations and services pertaining to the extra-academic needs, interests and activities of all students enrolled at the Campus, and it shall present recommendations for Senate action. The Committee shall be the Senate’s advisory body regarding student affairs to the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and to college or school officers and committees, including student councils and other student organizations.
The Committee on Student Affairs shall discharge the obligations of the Senate regarding student discipline as specified in the University of Illinois Statutes (Article II, Section 1g. and Article XI, Section 2) and in the current Student Disciplinary Procedure statement.
The Committee or Subcommittee thereof, shall serve as the judiciary body in all student disciplinary cases brought before it. The body shall formulate and adopt, after consultation with the Legal Counsel, disciplinary and hearing procedures, which shall be followed in all disciplinary and hearing proceedings. The disciplinary and hearing procedures that it formulates shall be presented to the Senate.
The Committee may appoint subcommittees on student discipline as specified in the Student Disciplinary Procedure statement. The chairpersons of these subcommittees need not be members of the Committee.
Committee on Student Recruitment, Admissions, and Retention Heading link
The Committee on Student Recruitment, Admissions, and Retention shall review policies, standards, and procedures for: recruitment, selection, admission and readmission of students to degree and certificate programs; student record keeping; class scheduling and registration; articulation with secondary schools, community colleges, and other universities. The Committee shall monitor such activities and shall make appropriate recommendations for Senate action.
The Committee provides liaison between the Senate and the University Office of Admissions and Records.
Committee on Support Services Heading link
Duties of the Committee on Support Services
The Committee on Support Services shall review policies regarding, and the performance of, units which provide support for academic programs. The Committee shall make appropriate recommendations for Senate action.
The Committee shall serve as the Academic Calendar Committee and shall annually present a calendar to the Senate that defines the periods of registration, instruction, examination and vacation for the Campus. This calendar shall specify official University holidays and scheduled Senate meetings. The calendar shall also specify deviations required by any academic units. When developing the calendar, the committee shall consult with the Director of the Office of Admissions and Records or designee, ex officio without vote.
In the fulfillment of its charge, the Committee shall organize itself in such a way as to meet its and the Senate’s need for giving advice on the function of the following campus services: buildings and grounds; support staff; auxiliary services.
The Committee shall serve as the Senate’s advisor to the directors of the relevant units of the formulation and implementation of policies governing operation of the units. The Committee shall advise the Chancellor on the appointment of, and on the periodic evaluation of, the directors of the relevant units.
University Senates Conference Heading link
The Senates Conference is a statutory body (Article II, Section 2 of the University of Illinois Statutes) providing the major link between the faculties of the Chicago, Urbana-Champaign, and Springfield campuses and is charged with reviewing “all matters acted upon by each Senate” and with determining “whether senate actions requiring implementation or further consideration” are being referred to appropriate officers. The Senates Conference must decide whether actions taken by one senate have broader all-university relevance and thus also must be considered by other senates. If the Senates Conference decides that the senates have acted differently on a matter, it must “attempt to promote agreement or consistency,” and in cases of continuing disagreement among the senates, the Senates Conference may forward its own recommendations on the matter.
In addition, the Senates Conference acts as an advisory group to the Board of Trustees through the president, to the President, to other administrative officers, and to the senates themselves on matters of university-wide concerns. It is a “special concern of the conference executive committee to aid in maintaining harmonious relations among such officers and the University.”
Ad Hoc Senate Committee on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Heading link
The Ad Hoc Senate Committee on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion will actively participate in formulating recommendations and policies that support anti-racism initiatives at UIC. This committee will provide faculty input directly to the Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, as with the Senate standing committees that map to the other Vice Chancellor and Administrative Cabinet positions. This Senate committee will coordinate their efforts with those sponsored by the Chancellor, as well as those developed by the colleges, and UIHealth. Given the broad range of faculty expertise and experience, this committee is uniquely positioned to identify the issues and design strategies to implement change within the UIC community, including all stakeholders. Among the activities of this committee will be monitoring the campus via regular climate surveys. This effort should involve campus groups that represent the diversity of the UIC community, as well as the surrounding communities that we serve, actively engaging all stakeholders to fulfill the promise of UIC as a leader in 21st century higher education.